Thursday, March 7, 2013

Looks like Hannibal Lecter having radiation!!!

This is what he looks like every morning for 6 weeks!!!
 
6:20 am each morning, Monday - Friday!!!
 I know, what the heck?
 Why must they scedule  us so darn early???
     3 radiation treatments down, 27 more to go!  Ha...still sounds like a lot.  It really doesn't take long.  We are in and out of there in about 20 - 30 minutes.  Wait time and all.  In here they have Pandora playing loud if they want so Warren can tell them whatever he wants to listen to and they will put it on while he's having the radiation.  This morning he told them the Bee Gees.  Ha ha ha... Yes, he's only 42!  (Don't get mad but I really don't even know who the Bee Gees are or what they sing.  I'm sure I do know their songs or song if you told me while it was playing that the Bee Gees sang it but I couldn't name a song they sing.)  Anyhow, this is how Warren is spending his time in the mornings these days. 
     I did forget to mention that we have decided to participate in a clinical study (shall I say, Warren, not "us" is participating in a clinical study...I forget we are two different people sometimes).  MD Aderson did a pilot program where they performed acupuncture on radiation (head & neck) patients to see if it helped stimulate their saliva glands to produce more saliva during and after radiation since the radiation will kill those glands for a while and sometimes forever.  The study found that it did help some patients but it was hard to really know if it was the acupuncture that helped or if some people just produced more than others or had better outcomes after the radiation.  So, now they are doing a larger clinical study.  They started about a year ago and will go maybe another year or year and a half and they asked Warren if he was interested in participating.  He wasn't and isn't real excited to do it only because he doesn't want to be at the hospital any longer than he has to each day but it's only 3 days a week and I told him if there's a chance it can help, why not?  It's free!  I think it's kinda neat to say you were apart of that study anyway if they do find that it is helpful with the side effects of radiation.  This mornig we had to meet with them for them to take a lot of saliva samples.  Yuk!!!  I think that is worse than dealing with urine samples!  Ugghhh...but that's just my opinion.  I'm not sure when they will actually start the acupuncture.  He will probably start to experience dry mouth by next week.  That's what a sweet man told me in the waiting room yesterday.  (By the way - this man I talked to for a while in the waiting room yesterday (who had the same exact cancer as Warren and even the same tumor in the same spot on the base of his tongue) is from Louisiana and he said he's a professional DJ.  He said he's done hundred's of weddings and parties for the Gator Boys' and the Swamp Peoples' daughters and family.  He said he knows all of them guys.  LOL....Ya never know who you're gonna meet, where!  (For those of you who don't live in the U.S. those are people (cajun's) that have reality shows on TV and their pretty entertaining!)
     That was our morning in a nutshell!  Now we are off for a walk in Hermann Park...and maybe I can convince Warren we need to check out the Galleria mall!  :)




2 comments:

  1. Love your blog, Jennifer! I hope the Bee Gees were playing "Stayin' Alive" -- very appropriate because that's what Bryan and Warren are doing, thank the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha...I love it! I do know that song. Just didn't know they sang it. Thanks, Karen!

      Delete