Tuesday, March 26, 2013

A good start to the week!!!

     Hi!  Warren had a pretty good day today.  He's been way more talkative today.  Maybe because we had several doctor's appointments and had to be away from the apartment most of the day so he was forced to get off of the couch and talk.  :)  He loves his radiation oncologist, Dr. Beadle, though, she always makes him laugh so I credit her for some of his good day!  :)  Love her!!  He did have two different radiation treatments today.  They had to make one up so he had it at 6am and 2pm.  Other than being a little tired when we got back he was fine.

Warren and I waiting for his next appointment.
     As far as his pain it is more apparent now but he's handling it really well.  They upped his pain meds to a patch today.  (He's about to put it on now...it take 12 hours to really get into his system and he wears them for 72 hours at a time.)  I'm really proud of how well he's taking everything.  He never just sits around and complains or acts like he feels sorry for himself.  (Well, he does sit around but not the other stuff.)  He's eating way better, too.  Mainly chicken noodle soup, jello and chocolate protein smoothies from Smoothie King.  He really wants to eat other stuff and sometimes thinks he can but then quickly realizes it ain't happening after he tries!  (Yes, I know "ain't" ain't a word!)  Dr. Beadle told him today to not even try anything you have to eat with a fork anymore.  She told him to just stick to liquids.  Last night he actually had a meal from Olive Garden.  He ate stuffed manicotti!  I was impressed!  (I believe he was trying to get in as many calories as possible before the weigh in today!!!)...Don't tell him I told y'all but he also tried to be weighed with heavy stuff in his pockets.  Yep, that nurse is sharp...she quickly realized that and made sure his wallet, cell phone, hat, water bottle and keys were accounted for in his numbers!  he he he... He really only lost about 3 lbs. this past week.  He will argue with me but he's probably lost about 6 or 7 lbs total now since we've been here.  (He'll say 3...have no idea why he's stuck on that number!)  The doctors aren't worried, though, because it's been about 2-3 lbs a week which still isn't a significant amount thus far and not a lot in a short amount of time.  That's when they would worry and probably do the feeding tube.  We are meeting with the doctor tomorrow about the feeding tube but only to just meet with him in case he has to get it in the next week or two.  (We've learned from other patients that the situation can change rapidly...like eating ok one day to not being able to eat at all the next or throwing up or severe pain.  So far so good, though.)
     Well, other than that not much interesting has happened around here.  Let's see...I did get to go sit out by the pool for a couple of hours yesterday and received my first ray of sunshine on my face in quite a while.  (I should mention that I layed out in yoga pants and a zip up jacket!  It's been chilly here the last few days but beautiful!) 

 Oh, and today while waiting for Warren in the waiting area a 3 year old little boy got his head stuck under the arm rest of a chair.  That was hysterical!  His mom, grandfather and I tried every position we could get him and the chair in to get him out.  At one point I looked up and we had a couple of doctor's and nurses that had been walking by watching us and one asked if there was anything he could do.  Bahahahaha....I think probably that was more of a mom's specialty than any doctor there!  (Getting a toddler's head unstuck from an akward position in furniture!)  I laughed all the way out the door.  Of course, that kid was laughing too, therefore I could laugh.
      Also, in the last few days I was able to get my Easter shopping done via the internet and had it shipped to my mom's for the kids baskets.  Thanks, Mom!!! I know you are going to be exhausted after Easter! :)  I probably haven't mentioned as much as I should but we are forever grateful for all of the support we have from everyone!  It's absolutely unbelievable all of the support and prayers that we have received and continue to receive each and every day!!!  We have no doubt that Warren will get through this all and be just fine in months to come and that we will be way stronger and way better people for it!!!
    

3 comments:

  1. I am so pleased to hear that he is doing ok. Please give him a HUGE kiss from me and tell him I love him very much. What a funny story about the child's head in the chair! Too funny. Well Jen, as you said, all we can do is take it day by day and pray for his complete recovery. Tell him his mean sister said he must drink plenty of vegetable juice for her. I will call you over the weekend. Love you all so much
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats great that he has been eating and j think it is super cute that he tried to weigh in with all that stuff in his pockets. I think its great that you have started thus blog....i look forward to reading it everyday jf i can to see how you and him are both doing. Sending lots of love, lots of hugs and tons and tons of prayers everyday!!! I know i dont know your hubby very well but i love you both very much! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete