Monday, April 22, 2013

I'm back to blogging if anyone is still out there following...

     Well, we have been home now for 10 days and it's feeling somewhat normal again.  And again, I apologize for not posting for so long this time for those of you who get on regularly to check on Warren's status.  It's been hard to find the time to blog but I will make it a priority again.  Promise!!! I've got to get better at time management!  I'm dedicating this week to getting more organized...while taking care of Warren and Aniston.  (I had to take her to the doctor today because she ran a fever all weekend and we needed to know what it was in case it's someting we needed to be extra careful Warren didn't get.  It's a virus called the Adenovirus.  Not that big of a deal but makes her feel really bad like the flu.  High fever, a little cough, really tired, sore throat, etc..  It can't be treated with anything so she'll just have to sleep it off.   Bless her heart!  Now, we need to make sure Warren doesn't get it!  I think it's mostly just in kids, though.  Don't think it's too much to worry about.
     Anyhow, about Warren...He's still feeling pretty crumby.  I know the doctors' said that the two weeks after his last treatment would be the worst but for some reason my mind would not let me really believe that.  I guess my logical response is...the treatment is over and each day he wakes up will be a little easier than the last but it's been the opposite.  Last week each day was WORSE than the last.  I'm hoping this week my theory will come into play!  No really, I feel like it can only get better but it still may be just as tough this week as last.  He's got to be the cleanest cancer patient around, though, because his comfort zone is a hot bath.  Can't tell you how many he takes a day!  Maybe 5 or 6, sometimes more.   (This morning he was in the bath when I left to take Aniston to the doctor and when we got back (2 hours later) he was in the bath.  I freaked out because he was sleeping and I woke him up and thought he'd been there since we left.  He said he had been but he was joking.  It was his 2nd bath.  Yes, I know it's dangerous to sleep in the bath but if you saw how small our bathtub is you would understad he's fine! ha ha ha....It's seriously perfect for Aniston's size, not US!!!  That should probably be our next project when all of this is behind us...a bigger tub!)
      Anyhow, whatever works, right?!  He is getting down more shakes than when we were in Houston but it's still not enough.  He's probably lost 35 lbs now.  As of last week he had lost 32 lbs and I know he's lost some from last week but I'm not sure how much.  I asked him how much he weighed when he played soccer in college and he's about that size now.  I know he will come back strong, though, and gain some back so I'm not as worried about it as I was.  We are almost to the light!  I just hope the saliva thing stops for him because that is one of the worst side effects and it's so yuk!  I think he could deal with the dry mouth way more than he can deal with having to spit every minute and he really can't go anywhere having to do that all of the time so hopefully that will subside soon.  Oh yeah, one of his biggest issues right now is sleep.  He is still having trouble sleeping at night.  I realized last night his biggest problem...he has sleep apnea, which he has never had, and it's jolting him back awake everytime he falls asleep and stops breathing.  He does this ALL night and is then miserable because he didn't get any sleep.  (I didn't get any sleep last night because when he did fall asleep last night he snored so loud (also something new) and Anistn snored really loud, too, so there was no chance I was sleeping through all of that.)  All of Aniston's life I've checked on her all night either to change her position or listen to see if she was breathing if I didn't hear her snoring and now I'm doing the same with Warren.  So, now I guess we need to address this issue and see what can be done about this.  I'm sure it's a combination from the radiation on his throat and nose and all of his medication he's on (which is from the side effects of the side effects!).
     So, that's what's been going on with Warren.  I'll keep y'all posted and let you know how he does this week.
 

2 comments:

  1. My thoughts and prayers are with you daily. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, I also got REALLY bad sleep apnoea but it seemed to go away later. Ive always had it but it got REALLY extreme! Hope he has got over it NOW? My thoughts & prayers are also with u guys & ur family daily! I also put my INTENSIFIED apnoea down to the shock & trauma of having cancer!

    ReplyDelete